How do I find out what properties are available?

Current vacancies can be viewed in the “Current Availability” section of our website. You can call our office at 541.269.5561 to inquire about available properties or stop by our office at 420 Park Ave., Coos Bay, OR, to pick up a rental list. You can also find our listings on Craig’s List, Facebook and Twitter.

How do I see a property I’m interested in?

Contact the sales department at 541.269.5561 or send an email to [email protected] to arrange an appointment. Appointments are scheduled between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, and are scheduled on a first-come basis.

How do I apply for a property?

Select the property you want to rent. Complete the Application for Housing form and pay the Screening Fee with exact cash, money order or cashier’s check. E-mail, fax or drop off copies of your government-issued Photo ID. GMS processes all applications on a first come, first serve basis. We strive to process applications as quickly as possible. Typically applications can be processed within 3-4 hours, however some can take up to 24-48 hours to process, based on how long it takes to reach all your references.

Can I apply for a property if I’m not currently in the local area?

For applicants living out of the local are, you may apply by following the steps above. We do recommend that applicants view the property prior to applying, but we do not require it. If you would like to have a friend view the property on your behalf, we are more than happy to accommodate you. Please be aware that you will still be required to pay the security deposit upon approval of you application, whether you have viewed the property or not. Security deposits once tendered to GMS will not be refunded unless the landlord defaults.

Reasons for Denial:

  • Inaccurate, incomplete or falsified information
  • Not meeting the pet policy listed for the specific unit
  • You not meet the income qualification of 2.5 x the rent amount for your monthly income
  • Not enough verifiable rental history
  • Any eviction or unlawful detainer action as a result of lease violations or non-payment of rent or tenant default.
  • We reserve the right to deny any application for rental.
  • Conviction, guilty plea or no contest plea for most felonies. Conviction, guilty plea or no contest plea for any misdemeanor involving assault, intimidation, property damage, theft, dishonesty, criminal trespass, prostitution, weapons charges or any charge that is sex-related or drug-related. Any pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants.
  • Unpaid collections, liens or judgments. Negative credit history. We consider credit scores between 760-850 Excellent, scores between 700-759 Good,  600-699 Fair and scores below 600 to be Poor and most likely will lead to denial. We suggest checking your credit score on a free site such as prior to applying.
  • Negative rental history.

Will you rent to me if I have been evicted?

Individual cases will be reviewed. For further inquiries email [email protected].

Will you rent to me if I have bad or negative credit?

As a general rule, we are more lenient on medical bills and student loans. We are strictest on past due utility bills, credit cards, auto loans, mortgages and bounced checks.

GMS defines negative credit as:

  • Any negative credit history – credit rating below 580.
  • Bankruptcy reported open or closed within the last ten (10) years.
  • Any repossession – voluntary or involuntary – or any civil judgment in the last 3 years.
  • More than three (3) non-medical collection or past due accounts.
  • Foreclosure within the last seven (7) years.
  • Unpaid utility bills.

Will you rent to me if I have filed bankruptcy?

Typically GMS requires that a bankruptcy be closed and positive credit has been re-established. GMS may require/allow co-signers for anyone who has filed a bankruptcy.

What if I don’t have any rental history?

A co-signer will be required. The co-signer must also submit an Application for Rent, screening fee and photo ID.

Are there employment or income requirements?

Monthly household income should equal 2.5 times the state monthly rent. Food stamps are included in calculating monthly income. If an applicant does not have a verifiable source of income or the income level is too low, we may request one or all of the following: a qualified co-signer, increased security deposit, or qualified roommate.

Do you accept Section 8 vouchers?

Section 8 is accepted at some, but not all, of our properties. Feel free to contact the leasing department for detailed information by emailing [email protected] or calling 541.269.5561.

Move In Fees and Deposits:

Within 48 hours of your application being approved, you will be required to pay the security deposit and sign the deposit to hold form. This serves as putting a hold on the property and will secure the property for up to 7 calendar days. Once the deposit to hold is tendered to GMS it will not be returned unless the landlord defaults. If you fail to pay the balance of money due at move-in, and/or fail to execute the Rental Agreement within 7 days, you will forfeit all monies paid up to the time of cancellation. The first month’s rent payment and Security Deposit must be in the form of guaranteed funds (money order or cashier’s check); personal checks will not be accepted.

How long do I have to move in after my application has been approved?

The security deposit must be paid within twenty-four (24) hours of getting approved for any property. This payment will hold the property for up to seven (7) days, after which the prorated rent must be paid in full at the lease signing.

What if I cannot pay all the move-in costs up front?

GMS typically only accepts pro-rated first month’s rent and deposits prior to move-in. Many companies also charge last month’s rent, so we feel GMS is actually making it more affordable for you as a prospective tenant. We will not relinquish keys to anyone unless all fees have been paid or special arrangements have been made.

What options do I have when paying my rent?

GMS accepts personal checks [from established tenants], money orders, cashier’s checks or cash. We also accept payments from your debit card of bank account through our online software.

Do I need permission to install cable or satellite TV?

GMS and cable/satellite companies require that you have written permission prior to installation. You will need to contact GMS and then we can provide you with written permission to give to your cable/satellite installer. The best way to ask for permission is to email [email protected]. Regina will ask the owner for permission and will provide you with a letter for the cable/satellite installer. It is best to allow 24-48 hours for this process. Under no circumstances is a satellite dish to be attached to a building. In most cases, we ask that the satellite provider utilizes a tri-pod system or the like.

What happens if I lock myself out?

GMS will check you out a key that you can return at no cost, during normal business hours. If you lock yourself out after hours you will need to call a locksmith, as we do not have lockout service available.

What if I can’t pay all my rent or what if my rent is going to be late?

GMS believes that communication is a key or our tenant/landlord relationship. In most cases we will work with you if you come in and sign a promissory note that details out a promise to pay date, later in the month. However, if you do not communicate this need, before your rent is past due, we will issue a 72-hour notice and go through the proper procedures. We value you as a tenant/customer and as long as arrangements are not taken advantage of we are for the most part willing to work with you, subject to owner approval. Please contact your manager for further details.

Most GMS leases require rent to be paid by 5 PM on the 5th day of any given month. Most of our subsidized properties are due by 5 PM on the 10th day of the month. Even if we have an agreement to pay late, you will be charged a late fee. Most of our late fees are $50.00, with the subsidized properties being charged a $10.00 late fee. Please review your lease agreement to see which fees will apply to you.

What if I want to have a guest stay with me for awhile? What if the guest has a pet?

GMS wants you to feel that the property your are renting is your home, however your lease stipulates that you may have a guest no longer than fourteen (14) day in a forty-five (45) day period. So long as you are in those parameters feel free to entertain guests. Our only request is that you ask your guest not to bring their pet if you are in a no pet property. Please contact your manager if you have additional questions.

What if I want to make a modification to my unit, like painting a room?

Modifications are not allowed unless you have prior written approval from management. Sometimes owners may allow you to paint a room, if they approve of the color and you have signed a lease. Our best advice is that you will never know unless you ask, so we invite you to put your request in writing and we will ask the owner and get back to you. A good place to start is to email your request to [email protected] or [email protected].

What if I notice preventative maintenance items like my gutters need cleaned or shingles are off my roof from a storm?

One of GMS’s main priorities is the preservation of the property you rent. Our duty is to preserve the owner’s assets, so if you notice something that we have not addressed or something that happens that damages the property, i.e. a storm, of course we want you to notify us. Our intentions are to make the home safe and livable for you as our customer, as well as protect the owner’s property. One of the best ways to notify us is via email at [email protected] or [email protected].

What if I need something fixed or want request an upgrade to my unit?

GMS prefers that maintenance requests are done in writing. You can fill out a maintenance request on our website and submit it that way or come into our office to fill one out. We will also mail or email you a maintenance request form to bring by the office. You can also email our maintenance department directly at [email protected].

Sometimes tenants do not realize that they can request an upgrade to the property they are renting. Things like installing a ceiling fan or screen door are items that an owner may provide if you have been a long-term tenant in good standing. GMS values your tenancy and we want to hear your suggestions. If you have a suggestion or an upgrade that you would like to request please send an email to [email protected] or [email protected].

What happens if I have an after-hours emergency?

If you have an after-hours emergency you need to call 541.269.5561 and our automated service will connect you to our on call staff. The key is – is it really an emergency? For example – during a storm, in the middle of the night, a roofer cannot safely climb on the roof in the dark. Since you are not calling an automated service, but rather a real person with a cell phone, we ask that you only call after hours with an actual emergency that warrants immediate attention. All other issues should be addressed Monday – Friday between 8:00 AM – 5 PM.

GMS considers the following situations as an after-hours emergency:

  • Severely leaking water heaters.
  • Sewage over flows.
  • No source of heat.
  • Non-working exterior door locks.
  • Flood, fire or other situations that reflect eminent danger to you or the property.
  • Non-working necessary appliance, such as your refrigerator.
  • GMS appreciates your understanding and consideration.

What happens at the end of my lease?

In most cases, your lease will roll over to a month-to-month tenancy. The most important thing to note is that regardless of the expiration of your lease you are still required to give a written 30-day notice. Please do not assume that if your lease expires that GMS thinks you are moving out. GMS only recognizes 30-day notices if they are in writing.

How do I give a 30-day notice?

You can either write us a letter indicating you intend to move or we can send you a 30-day notice form. Please note that this is the one case where GMS does not prefer an email. The reason for this requirement is that we need an original signature so that we know it is really you that is requesting to vacate the property. We will be happy to send you a form via email, but please do not email the 30-day notice back to us. You can mail it to GMS, drop it off or place it in the night drop if we are not open. Please note that all 30-day notices are effective the date they are actually received by GMS.

What do I do when I am moving out?

GMS expects you to leave the property in move-in condition. We have move-out instructions that will help you in your cleaning endeavors. This form will be mailed to you when we receive your 30-day notice. We can also meet with you at the property to do a pre-move out inspection and can answer any questions you have at that time. Please do not forget to properly forward your mail. More information contact your local post office or visit for more information.

How do I turn in keys when I move out?

The most important thing to remember is to not leave your keys in your home. GMS does not assume you are out just because your 30-day notice stipulates the day you intend to vacate the property. Many people take an extra day and turn in the keys when they are finished moving. GMS does not recognize that you have vacated the property unless you have returned the keys to our office or left them in our drop box with a note if we are not open. Please make sure to place the keys and a note with your name and forwarding address in a sealed envelope.

How can I turn in a complaint about something to GMS?

Please address your complaints to the manager of your property first by calling, emailing or submitting a written complaint to the on-site [if applicable]


If you feel your issue is not being properly addressed by the appropriate staff member you can email the owner at [email protected].
Feel free to always contact our office should you have any concerns or questions.